Step 27 To Selling Your Home: The Final Walk Through
The final walk through usually occurs the night before closing or the morning of closing and is a chance for the buyer and the buyer’s Realtor to walk through the property and make sure it’s in the same condition as it was during the inspection. Generally the walk through takes about 15 minutes and we can attend in case any problems come up. It’s best if you are completely moved out and the home has been thoroughly cleaned by the time the walk through occurs.
Here’s what the final walk through is:
- A second chance for the buyer to make sure all of the appliances are still working
- An opportunity to make sure you didn’t damage anything while moving out
- A time to make sure the property is clean
- When we explain to the buyer what day the trash is picked up, where the parking is, etc.
- We will do the same thing for the house that you purchase next.
We want to make sure you see both sides of the coin. If we walk into the house you are buying and there is damage to the drywall the washer is missing, there are garbage bags multiple rooms and one cabinet still has dishes in it....Guess what? All that is yours at closing legally and there isn't much we can do about it. We want to ensure you are buying a house in the same condition as when you made the offer and that all the items that are to be left per the contract are in the home.
Here is what the final walk through IS NOT:
- It’s not a time to have the buyer’s parents, friends, etc. come look at the property or for contractors give them estimates, etc. All of that can wait until the next day once they’ve officially bought the property.
- It’s not a time for the buyer to begin moving boxes or other items in to the property. That has to wait until after closing.
- It’s not when the buyer receives the keys. Instead, at the end of the walk through we will give the buyer’s Realtor the keys and garage door opener and the buyer’s Realtor will give those items to the buyer at the end of closing.
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding the final walk through. We’re almost there!
GO BACK: to Main Page